What Do I Do If I Have An Asbestos Switchboard?

What Do I Do If I Have An Asbestos Switchboard?

Do you have an asbestos switchboard? If so, it’s essential to know that there are ways to remove the material safely.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral used in the construction of homes, schools, and businesses. It can be found in insulation materials like ceiling tiles, floor tiles, and pipe wrap, as well as your electrical switchboard.

If these materials are disturbed or damaged, they can release microscopic fibres into the air, which can cause serious health problems when inhaled over time.

How Do I Know If My Switchboard Has Asbestos In It?

If your home was built before 1988, then there’s a chance that the switchboard in your home may contain asbestos-containing materials. But that doesn’t mean your switchboard has to be old to contain potentially harmful asbestos. There were variations imported into Australia as late as 2004 containing the dangerous mineral, and many switchboards containing asbestos were installed through the 1990s.

These materials can be harmful to humans when inhaled or ingested. Therefore, it is essential to have these boards professionally tested and removed by an expert for safety reasons.

The best way to find out is by having a professional come and test for asbestos. You can also check with local utility companies about any records they might have on file regarding installing new meters at your address.

Never Try To Replace Your Old Switchboard Yourself

You should never attempt to remove or replace an old switchboard without proper training and accreditation. Not only is there an electrical risk, but this is also dangerous to your health and can cause serious illness if not handled properly.

You should have the board tested for asbestos before attempting to remove it yourself or hiring someone else to do it for you.

Contact A Licensed Professional Who Can Adequately Handle The Removal Process

You don’t want anyone in your family or business exposed to harmful materials like asbestos, which is why hiring a professional company is so important when it comes time for removal.

You need to ensure that any work done in the area where these boards are located must be carried out by qualified electricians who know how to remove them safely without releasing any dust into the air. This means taking precautions such as wearing protective clothing, masks and gloves while working in this area of your home.

Not All Companies Are Equipped With The Proper Tools And Training To Remove Asbestos

The problem is most companies aren’t equipped with the proper tools and training to remove asbestos from their buildings safely, so they hire outside contractors who don’t always do the job right. This can lead to extra expenses and an additional risk if multiple parties are handling the potentially dangerous switchboard.

We are experts in the field of asbestos removal and disposal. You can trust us with all aspects of the job from start to finish, including planning, preparation, removal and disposal, and any other specialist works such as site restoration or environmental reports if required by law.

If you suspect your switchboard might contain asbestos, give our team a call today to arrange an inspection.