Frequently asked


Browse through our frequently asked questions below to learn more about what John McEwan Electrical has to offer. Our skilled electricians service residential, commercial and industrial clients throughout Wollongong and surrounding areas.

If you live in an older home or are thinking about buying an older building, the first step is to have the wiring inspected by a professional. You may need your panel upgraded so it can handle modern appliances and electronics. Older wiring can also sometimes become a fire hazard, so all vulnerable areas should also be thoroughly inspected.

There are a number of reasons why your power may have stopped working. The first step is to check your switchboard to determine if you may have flipped the breaker. If that isn’t the cause, check with your energy company to find out if there is a widespread outage. If there is, then the cause of trouble has occurred outside of your home. If that isn’t the cause, then you should call a professional to inspect your wiring.

While many people don’t realise it, it is a good idea to have your wiring regularly inspected for problems. Although it contains no moving parts, your electrical system can wear out over time. Additionally, rodents and other pests can occasionally cause damage to wires, leading to issues. Having a yearly inspection will help ensure your wiring stays in top working order.